Here are the essentials you need to bring:
- Waterproof pants & jacket with hood
- Waterproof dry bag
- Warm clothing (fleece/wool sweater) for layering
- Hiking boots (essential)
- Mitts or gloves
- Water bottle
- * Passport for Straitwatch Victoria
If camping at Robson Bight:
Warden Program Volunteers:
Volunteers hike to the Cliff each day (a strenuous 45 minute hike each way), where you will help collect data on the movement of boats and whales from 9 to 5 pm. One or two days a week you may be asked to help on the Warden boat – contacting boaters who enter the ecological reserve or get too close to whales.
- We supply all food and cooking equipment.
- You will be expected to contribute to cooking and cleaning and other chores around camp.
- There is no running water (drinking water is supplied in water jerries).
- You will pitch your tent on a wooden platform.
- There is a shower shack where you can take a pot of heated water.
- There is a cell phone in camp that you may use – you will need to purchase a phone card.
The camp is a beautiful spot where whales swim by quite regularly and fog often persists late into the morning. You will share the area with a variety of wildlife. And if you like cold water, Boat Bay is a great place to cool off on a hot day!